sexta-feira, 4 de julho de 2008

Cash and Clothes

I have learned to let go of converting my money. Arriving here, every price in pounds that I would see I'd automatically multiply by 3 and back off immediately. It's a bit scary, you know! But after a while, you start seeing things in pounds, you start thinking in pence, you start becoming amazed at how cheap things are!! This will eventually be my wallet's doom. But while I remind myself that I saved up for half a year for this, it's easier to let go of the cash.

Everywhere I go, or at least, almost everywhere I go, I take some cash with me, just in case. My pockets come back stuffed with bills and coins. If you could look around my room right now -- as I am doing -- you would see money thrown all over the place (I think I'll clean it up after I post this).

Today we went to The Lojinha (because I don't know what the name is and that's what everyone in this house calls it -- the shop). It's a nice little secondhand store where you can get things amazingly cheap! The owners use the money to pay for rent and to financially support Christian charity work in the Philippines (pilipinas!). One of their fantastic contributions around those parts is the giving of tricycles (the big ones, please) to the homeless and unemployed in order to help them support themselves, which is brilliant! The people use these tricycles as taxis there, and it's enough to get them started with work. That is how caring for the poor should be. It takes so much more than just giving food and money; they need help to become independent.

Anyway, at the lojinha, we had devotionals and then the ladies helped fold the donated clothes in the back (you wouldn't believe how much clothes winds up there!). We came across baby socks -- adorable -- and I decided to adhere to the Lara girls' habit of collecting objects for their future babies. I now have a pair of tiny cute green socks stuffed away to give to my future kid :D After that, we practically ransacked the shop for things to buy. Okay, not ransacked, but everything was pretty cheap, and some things were brand new! I needed a pair of pants cuz I was smart enough to only bring two pairs of jeans on my trip (I was in a rush packing, alright!!). I found a nice pair of pants there with the tag still on!!! Apparently, it was originally for 15 pounds, but I bought it there for 2,50 :P

Now, if you will excuse me, I'm dying to go to Tesco's to buy a good camera for 100 pounds and take decent pictures of my trip (I'm stealing everyone else's pictures :P)



This is Vivian (or Bibi according to Pedro),
one of the brazilians who came over on the mission's trip.

Natália and I eating in the living room.
The beautiful evil/good fairy lady - Bruna
(I became her assistant fairy lady and paid her 2 pence for a cheese thingy)

Get this, we Brazilians ate a typical African meal at a Portuguese restaurant in Northern Ireland.

The team at the shop!
Posing by the clothes :D

And then folding them!

4 comentários:

Schalkwijk disse...

LOL for your future baby? Uhm... well, cheers for hope! anywho! Mind if you land yourself a nice t-shirt as well, so you can stop stealing mine? AEHUHEAUHEAU jk dikinha. All I REALLY want is a nice shirt for myself as well. Do you mind? Wewtt i mean, seeing that things are SOOO cheap at ... the store. Hey, ever thought about using one of those tricycles and cooking up some cash yourself? I'd pay through the NOSE to see you try to pull a stunt on that thing! lawlz So yeah, its good to know you're enjoying yourself and what-not. Just make sure you don't forget to get on your flight BACK. Even though I hate to admit this, I think I might miss you a little. There I said it.

Have fun there dika!

Drika disse...

don't die in the pantanal and i might buy u a shirt.

Augustus Nicodemus Lopes disse...

Dika,

Thanks for sharing your time there. Wonderful. As always, I enjoy reading what you write.

Beijos,
Daddy
(De um hotel em Ourinhos, interior de São Paulo, a caminho de casa)

Fabiana Lara disse...

hey, num vale.... eu num tava nesse dia! :(